I’ve been working with Hibernate 3.3.2 and Hibernate Search 3.1 for the past few months. We finally got to a point in our project where we are sucking in mass amounts of data into our application from a large business application via JMS. Suddenly, I’m getting the following errors during persistence:
org.hibernate.AssertionFailure: collection [ class name here ] was not processed by flush()
I tried changing the owning side of the collection, made a join table, and nothing helped. The error started when I added an @IndexEmbedded annotation to the collection, and I discovered I was missing the @ContainedIn annotation in the collection entity. That didn’t fix it. After weeks of doing little tweaks, breaking, fixing, breaking, fixing, I finally discovered the problem. I was using an older manual for Hibernate Search (3.0 specifically) and I had the following configuration parameter pushed into my SessionFactory:
hibernate.search.worker.batch_size = 1
As of Hibernate Search 3.1, that parameter has been deprecated. It has been replaced by a number of other settings allowing finer-grained control over your batch processing in Hibernate Search. Eventually we’re upgrading to Hibernate Search 3.2 which handles batches altogether differently/better. Thought I’d share, because this one had me stumped.