This week Michael Lopp (VP Engineering @ Slack) posted a summary of Tweets responding to the question “Regardless of seniority every good manager will…”.
I took that list and tried to correlate the responses into several buckets. I used Trello to visualize this.
I came up with five buckets:
- Compassion/Empathy – Feel like a human and realize others feel too.
- Give/Take Feedback – Listen to others, tell them what’s going right & wrong, and do the same for yourself.
- Filter/Map/Reduce – Take in the world above and turn it into smaller things that are important for your people to know.
- Unblock – Don’t be an obstacle for your people to succeed – and help remove obstacles from their paths.
- Trust – Everyone is an adult and was hired for a reason – trust them in their decisions and make sure to gain your people’s trust.